Lilac Cottage


Facilities Photo

Circa 1880Lilac Cottage originally known as Rocklyn HouseLilac cottage has a heritage classification. It was built in the mid 1860’s, at the height of the gold rush days in Beechworth, by a Mr W.U.Grigg. In the old municipal rates book he’s listed as a "contractor". The house has had many different tenants over the years. Between 1878 and 1883 Rocklyn House as it was then called, was run as a school "for the children of gentlemen" where Mrs. Annie Goodman taught French, German, drawing and watercolours.

Her classes were held after normal school hours to serve as enrichment to the state education programme. Advertisements for her boarding and day school for girls can be seen in the local Ovens and Murray Advertiser of that time now held at the Burke Museum.

The four main rooms of Lilac Cottage were built from the local honey coloured granite and as was the custom at the time, the kitchen was separate.
Originally this was constructed of slabs and shingles. The present brick building dates from the end of the 19th century. Sourced photos indicate that it is at least the third kitchen.

The verandah between the two buildings is now tastefully enclosed providing a delightful sunny reading area.

Excellent new bathroom and laundry facilities add to the comforts of Lilac cottage without detracting from the character of a bygone era and the very special ambiance that one finds within it’s walls.

This charming house and garden offer privacy and an outlook onto the rock face of the gorge, while the front verandah is an idyllic place to take one’s breakfast or quietly sip a glass of local wine in Beechworth’s golden evening light.

The town centre is within easy walking distance.

Price Guide : Minimum 2-night booking - 2 persons $180 per night. 
7 nights - $1,140, excluding public holidays - normally $1260. 
Extra adult $40 per night, child $20 per night.

Lilac Cottage :: Facilities :: Photo Gallery :: Floor Plan :: Home

  E-mail: Mobile: 0427 214 421